Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:20 AM
RALEIGH, N.C. -- The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources is pleased to announce that 12 individual properties and districts across the state have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The properties below were reviewed by the North Carolina National Register Advisory Committee and were subsequently approved by the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Officer and forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register.
"The textile industry shaped many of our downtowns, and it's clear that our country values that manufacturing and industry history," Governor Pat McCrory said. "Districts and properties such as these contribute to tourism in our state, and the vast array of revival-style houses the Register has chosen to recognize show off even more of the culture and beauty that North Carolina has to offer."
"The National Register is a vital tool in the preservation of North Carolina's historic resources," said Susan Kluttz, Secretary of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "North Carolina is a leader in the nation's historic preservation movement. When all of the buildings in historic districts classified as contributing to the districts' significance are counted, it is estimated that North Carolina has approximately 73,300 National Register properties."
The listing of a property in the National Register places no obligation or restriction on a private owner using private resources to maintain or alter the property. Over the years, various federal and state incentives have been introduced to assist private preservation initiatives, including tax credits for the rehabilitation of National Register properties. As of Jan. 1, 2014, 3,000 rehabilitation projects with total estimated expenditures of $1.7 billion have been completed.
In Central and Southeastern North Carolina
Hoots Milling Company Roller Mill, Forsyth County, prepared by H. Fearnbach, listed 5/19/14
The Hoots Milling Company Roller Mill in Winston-Salem is architecturally significant as a local example of a distinctive industrial building type-the roller mill. Around 1935, brothers Zeno and Guy Hoots had the roller mill constructed from materials at their Yadkin County farm and around two years later completed the warehouse addition. The heavy timber and frame building covered in fire-resistant metal siding is the city's only example of the building type.
Bessemer City Downtown Historic District, Gaston County, prepared by L. Phillips, listed 5/19/14
The Bessemer City Downtown Historic District is historically important as the commercial and industrial center of this town established by a group of investors in the early 1890s. Plans for the town initially included a resort hotel, but the community quickly turned to the development of textile mills for its livelihood. Southern Cotton Mills began operation in 1895 and the Whetstone Mills followed in 1903. Hundreds of mill employees lived and worked in the town, and commercial buildings dating from the 1920s through the 1940s line Virginia Avenue south of the railroad right of way.
Highland Cotton Mills Village Historic District, Guilford County, prepared by L. Phillips, listed 5/23/14
In the early 20th century High Point's industrial expansion shifted from furniture to textiles, with the focus on hosiery. Established by John Adams and James Millis in 1913, the Highland Cotton Mills produced hosiery knitting yarn, and it was a major industrial enterprise in High Point. The mill and its mill village is one of the first planned neighborhoods in the city, and it appears to be its first industrial residential development. The mill village covers approximately 69 acres with 165 architecturally distinctive one-story frame historic mill houses.
Firleigh Farms, Moore County, prepared by D. Hood, listed 5/19/14
Firleigh Farms, which comprises the 1923 Colonial Revival-style house, garage/servants' quarters, and residual acreage, is significant for its association with Augustine and Jeanette Reid Healy. Mr. and Mrs. Healy as a couple and Mr. Healy individually are important for their contributions to the development of foxhunting and equine sport in Moore County and in Southern Pines especially. Mr. and Mrs. Healy were avid equestrians, prominent members of the Moore County Hounds, and were heavily involved in efforts by the Moore County Company to establish the Moore County Hunt Lands.
Napoleon Bonaparte McCanless House, Rowan County, prepared by L. Phillips, listed 5/23/14
Napoleon Bonaparte McCanless was important in the economic and business history of Salisbury at the turn of the 20th century. In partnerships and individually he invested in an extraordinary number of ventures in industry and commerce between the late 1890s and 1917, when he died. McCanless was the owner of a local granite business and was involved with banking, a cotton mill, mining, hotels, real estate development, transportation, and the development of community infrastructure. The granite, Second Empire-style house was his home after 1897 and is the building most directly associated with him.
Fuquay Springs Historic District Boundary Increase, Wake County, prepared by S. Argintar, listed 5/19/14
The boundary increase to the Fuquay Springs Historic District (NR 1996) in Fuquay-Varina brings into the district several architecturally significant houses along with additional smaller houses on South Main Street that together add to the architectural character of the district. The Fuquay Springs Historic District Boundary Increase is an architecturally important collection of houses built in the Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Period Cottage, Craftsman, and Minimal Traditional styles from 1928 to 1945.
South Brick House, Wake County, prepared by C. de Miranda, listed 5/27/14
Located in Wake Forest, the 1838 South Brick House built by Hillsborough mason John Berry is one of two antebellum Greek Revival-style brick houses in the county. The house retains finely preserved interior decoration from Asher Benjamin's 1830 pattern book, Practical House Carpenterand features a transverse-hall plan modified with an unusual separate stair hall and a center passage inserted between the back rooms. The dwelling is further distinguished by a well-preserved collection of 19th-century outbuildings in its rear yard.
Oneida Cotton Mills and Scott-Mebane Manufacturing Company Complex, Alamance County, prepared by J. Mitchell, listed 6/9/1
The Oneida Cotton Mills and the Scott-Mebane Manufacturing Company Complex, comprising the 1882 Scott and Donnell Mill, ca. 1898 Holt Mill, ca. 1900 Scott-Mebane Manufacturing Company, and ca. 1931 opener room, is an important example of textile mill slow-burn construction in Graham. The construction technology, which included brick as the principal building material, heavy-timber interior framing, numerous oversized windows and towers to hold large-capacity water tanks, continued in use in North Carolina through the 1940s and was designed to control fires and provide structural integrity under the weight of heavy machinery.
North Cherry Street Historic District Boundary Decrease and Additional Documentation, Forsyth County, prepared by M. McCullough, listed 6/20/14
This nomination documents the complete loss of historic buildings at the southern and northern ends of the Winston-Salem district and removes them from the designated historic district. Also, updated information about the appearance and retention of historic resources in the remaining historic district is provided.
Pugh House, Wake County, prepared by S. Argintar, listed 6/19/14
In 2008, the National Register-listed Pugh House in Morrisville was moved one block to save it from demolition. This nomination documents the house in its new location and explains both the architectural significance of the residence and the smokehouse as excellent local examples of the Italianate style, and the importance of its owner, notable North Carolina artist Mabel Pugh. Pugh inherited the property from her father James Pugh, for whom the house was built around 1870. She pioneered her profession for women in North Carolina, and she maintained a studio and lived in the house from 1923 to 1958.
In Eastern North Carolina
David A. Barnes House, Hertford County, prepared by E. King, listed 6/13/14
The David A. Barnes House in Murfreesboro is remarkable for both its design by master builder Jacob W. Holt and its collection of its outbuildings. In addition to the two-story, center-passage, double-pile house constructed in 1875 using Holt's signature version of the Italianate style, the property retains a contemporary privy, kitchen house, and two other outbuildings designed by Holt. The house is exemplary of the late work of Holt, who developed a distinctive idiomatic style during the late antebellum years in Warrenton and revived his career following the American Civil War in Chase City, Virginia. The David A. Barnes House is the apogee of the second, postwar phase of Holt's career and the largest and most exuberantly finished dwelling remaining from the final years of Holt's work in North Carolina.
Williamston Colored School, Martin County, prepared by J. McKnight, listed 7/25/14
Built in 1931 with assistance from the Julius Rosenwald Fund and the State Literary Fund, the Williamston Colored School was the first modern high school for African-American in Williamston. The school functioned as a gathering place for African-American in the area, acting as a community center for sports and cultural functions in addition to its use as an educational facility. The school was the only high school for blacks in Williamston and the eastern section of Martin County.
NOTE TO EDITORS -- all of the above images are available in a higher resolution on our Flickr site.
We're here to help. You can contact:
Director of Marketing & Communications
Public Relations Specialist
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive our latest press releases and media advisories, please click here.
Click here for a RSS feed of our news releases.
N.C. Department of Cultural Resources
109 East Jones Street MSC 4601 | Raleigh, NC 27699-4601
Phone: (919) 807-7300 | Fax: (919) 733-1620
Click here for information on transparency in State Government