Requesting Records by Mail
Due to current understaffing of the Correspondence unit please expect delays in response to record search inquiries and receipt of copies.
Information and forms for submitting research questions to the State Archives of North Carolina.
Information and forms for submitting research questions to the State Archives of North Carolina, including an online payment portal option.
If you have a general question that does not require research to be performed then please check the State Archives web page for your answer. If the answer cannot be found there, then send general inquiries to:
State Archives of North Carolina
4614 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4614
Fax: (919) 733-1354
Guidelines for Requesting Research
The type of research that can be requested from the State Archives is limited to those questions that can be answered by consulting a specific known set of records. See the lists below for examples of the research that can and cannot be conducted.
For information about fees for photocopies, copies of photographs and other duplication services, please consult our
The Archives CAN respond to requests for records such as:
- Do you have a record of Revolutionary War (or Confederate) service by Elijah Coor of Craven County?
- Do you have a marriage bond for Elijah Coor and Grace Jones, Craven County, about 1800?
- Do you have a will for Elijah Coor of Craven County, about 1840?
- Do you have an estate record for Elijah Coor of Craven County, about 1840?
- Does the record of the probate of the will of Elijah Coor appear in the Craven County court minutes for May Term 1840
- Does the 1850 Census Index for NC report the surname Coor?
- Do you have a land grant for Elijah Coor, Craven County, about 1840?
- Do you have a death certificate (1913-1979 ONLY) for Grace Jones, Craven County, about 1924?
- Do you have a cemetery survey for the surname Coor of Craven County?
The Archives CANNOT respond to requests for genealogical research such as:
- Who were the parents of Elijah Coor born in Craven County about 1755?
- Who were the children of Elijah Coor of Craven County, l800-l840? (Ask instead for a will or an estate record and hope the children will be named therein.)
- Please search for the brothers and sisters of Elijah Coor of Craven County during the last half of the eighteenth century.
- Please send me a copy of all the Coor wills (or estate records, or marriage bonds, or any other series of records) found in the Craven County records in your custody.
- Please send me anything about Elijah Coor, Craven County, 1755-1840. (A specific record must be requested.)
- Please send me all Coor cemeteries in North Carolina.
Back to Top