On March 10, 1764, Governor Arthur Dobbs consented to a request from the Assembly of North Carolina that all remaining military stores at Fort Dobbs be removed.
The fort, named in honor of the governor, was the only permanent frontier fort in the colony of North Carolina. It served as the military headquarters for a company of approximately 50 men and as a safe haven for settlers during the French and Indian War. The post had not been garrisoned with soldiers since December 1761.
Walter Lindsay, a local militia officer, served as caretaker for the fort between 1761 and 1764. With the global war between France and England over and the alarms caused by Pontiac’s Rebellion in the north quieted, Fort Dobbs quickly deteriorated. It was described by the next governor, William Tryon, as “a ruin” in 1766.
Today, the archaeological site of Fort Dobbs is preserved and operated as one of North Carolina’s state historic sites. The site hosts several living history events throughout the year and plans are underway to reconstruct the blockhouse fort.
Other related resources:
For more about North Carolina’s history, arts and culture, visit Cultural Resources online. To receive these updates automatically each day subscribe by email using the box on the right and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.