Celebrate Edenton’s 300th Anniversary
Edenton had its official start 300 years ago this month with the passage of an Act of Assembly in November 1712.
Some of the upcoming events at the 1767 Chowan County Courthouse include:
- A birthday celebration on the green complete with cupcakes and entertainment on Sunday, Nov. 4, from 1 to 3:30 p.m.,
- A noontime prayer service on Monday, Nov. 5,
- The ringing of the Courthouse bells 300 times at noon on Tuesday, Nov. 6,
- A lecture on the founding of Edenton and its early history on Thursday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m.
- Gospel singing by local church choirs on Friday, Nov. 9, at 7 p.m.
The Carolina Charter, the document that first organized government in North Carolina, will be on display at the Courthouse Monday and Tuesday.
Historic Edenton will also offer tea at the 1737 Cupola House Monday through Friday next week at 3 p.m. Tickets for the event must first be picked up at the Visitor Center.
For more details or questions, contact Historic Edenton at (252) 482-2637 or check out Visit Edenton's website.