Submit the following project information to initiate the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office’s (SHPO) review of projects subject to applicable federal and/or state cultural resources protection laws. Please allow 30 days from receipt of a completed submission for the SHPO’s review; incomplete submissions will be returned. Additional information may be required. Unless directed otherwise, submit all projects separately and include all information and attachments on 8½″ × 11″ paper or by e-mail.
The SHPO’s comments will address projects with potential effects to archaeological properties (land and underwater) and include comments from the Office of State Archaeology. Separate submittals for archaeological impacts are not necessary.
Starting September 19, 2022, the State Historic Preservation Office - Environmental Review Branch will no longer accept any Historic Structure Survey Report or Archaeological Survey Report that does not have a previously assigned ER tracking number. We recommend that applicants wait to conduct the survey(s) until they have been requested by the SHPO.
For all cell tower or borrow pit/waste area reviews please use the appropriate forms instead.
- If this project has been previously reviewed by the North Carolina SHPO, please provide the SHPO tracking number (typically ER ##-#### or CH ##-####).
Project Contact Information
- Provide a detailed description of the proposed project, including the acreage of the project area.
- List all licenses, permits, approvals, grants, or funding sought from federal and/or state agencies.
- Describe all historic properties (buildings, structures, districts, archaeological sites, or designed landscape features that are listed in, or eligible for listing in, the National Register of Historic Places, or that are 50 or more years old) and located within or immediately adjacent to the project area. Include photographs of all historic properties. For more information on the location of historic properties, see the SHPO’s new online GIS Mapping Application at gis.ncdcr.gov/hpoweb/. Be sure to check each of the HPOGIS Layers (National Register, Study List, etc.) within your project area. Example of preliminary reconnaissance of extant structures.
- If the project proposes to rehabilitate, alter, remove, or demolish any historic property within the project area, provide a description of the historic property’s current condition and the proposed renovations.
- Describe any proposed sale, transfer, or lease of historic properties within the project area.
- If known, describe past usage of the project area, including any ground disturbance that has taken place.
- Describe all proposed ground-disturbing activity within the project area, including the nature, dimensions (length, width, and depth), and exact location.
Project Area Map
- Submit a map showing the proposed project area. Road names must be legible. Where available, provide state road numbers (SR 1234, NC 24, etc.) For projects in urban areas, please use a city map or tax parcel map.
- All projects that propose ground-disturbing activity must also include a U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) topographic map (or map excerpt) showing the project area. The map should be sized to an 8½″ × 11″ page and must identify the USGS quadrangle the project area is located within. The USGS’s National Map Viewer provides free online access to and downloads of USGS 1:24K Index maps at http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/.
- Photographs of the site are mandatory. Include photographs of all structures within the project area that appear to be 50 or more years old.
- All printed digital photographs should be a minimum size of 4″ × 4″ (a maximum of 2 images per 8½″ × 11″ page).
- For legibility purposes, images taken from the internet (Google Street View, county tax appraiser websites, etc.) cannot be substituted for digital photographs.
- If submitting photographs of multiple structures clearly label the subject of each photograph and ensure that the location of any detail photographs or interior photographs can be identified.
Submitting Project Review Requests
The NCHPO ER Branch prefers that review requests be submitted electronically via e-mailed to: Environmental.Review@ncdcr.gov.
All attachments should be in .pdf, .doc (or .docx), or .jpeg formats. Other file types .zip, .tif files, or links to file-sharing websites must be pre-approved by ER staff. The message size, including all attachments, should be no larger than 20 megabytes. You should receive an automated message confirming receipt of your submission. If you do not, contact ER staff to confirm receipt. Only one project may be submitted per email.
When submitting hardcopy review requests, please use the following addresses:
|By US Postal Service:||By FedEx, UPS, or courier:|
State Historic Preservation Office
4617 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4617
State Historic Preservation Office
109 East Jones Street, Room 258
Raleigh, NC 27601
Faxed submittals will not be accepted.
Please submit all projects under the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program (EECBG), the State Energy Plan (SEP), or the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) to: Energy.Projects@ncdcr.gov.