Interested in North Carolina history and looking to do some research? The State Archives of North Carolina has a variety of historical materials that anyone can use at its search room in Raleigh.
The State Archives also has two regional locations, the Western Regional Archives and Outer Banks History Center, which focus on the history and culture of the North Carolina mountains and the coast, respectively.
What Can I Find at the State Archives?
Before you visit our search room, there are two ways you can check to see if we have what you need:
- Many materials from the collections in Raleigh, Manteo and Asheville are indexed in the MARS catalog. Video tutorials for using the catalog are available online.
- Finding aids describe some of the sets of records available at the Archives, and most of these guides are available online.
Things to Know Before You Visit
To make sure your visit is a smooth one, please keep a few things in mind before you come:
- A photo ID is required to access any State Archives facilities
- Many of our items are historically valuable and are the only copies in existence, so be careful when handling them
- Bags, coats, notebooks and other items can't be brought into the search room, but there are lockers and coat racks available for you to store these items
Do I Need to Come in Person?
While we would love for you to visit us in person, we recognize that's not possible for everyone and our goal is give you access to our materials when and where you need them. As part of that mission, the State Archives has made a wide range of materials available online.
From Bible records to aid you in your genealogical research to Census data to 1901 Confederate Pension Applications, terabytes of information are accessible anytime and anywhere with just a few clicks.
The State Archives has three facilities, one each in Raleigh, Asheville and Manteo, where members of the public can do research.
You can call or email all three of the State Archives' research facilities. Click on the name of each facility to visit its website.
|Facility||Phone Number||Email Address|
|State Archives Raleigh Search Room||(919) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Outer Banks History Center||(252) email@example.com|
|Western Regional Archives||(828) 296-7230, ext. firstname.lastname@example.org|